With their chickpea, orzo, and spinach filling, these stuffed peppers are a delightful vegetarian meal. Although there are several steps, this recipe is quick and uncomplicated. The pepper shells are flash cooked in the microwave, but if you prefer to throw them on the grill instead, do so. The stuffing mixture is adaptable, so you can take advantage of ingredients you already have at home: goat cheese can replace feta and fresh tomatoes stand in nicely for sun-dried tomatoes. To learn the technique,
4 yellow, orange and/or red bell peppers
1/2 cup whole-wheat orzo
1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
6 ounces baby spinach, coarsely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried
3/4 cup crumbled feta cheese, divided
1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes (not oil-packed), chopped
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar or red-wine vinegar
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Halve peppers lengthwise through the stems, leaving the stems attached. Remove the seeds and white membrane. Place the peppers cut-side down in a large microwave-safe dish. Add 1/2 inch water, cover and microwave on High until the peppers are just softened, 7 to 9 minutes. Let cool slightly, drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add orzo and cook until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse with cold water.
- Mash chickpeas into a chunky paste with a fork, leaving some whole.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach and oregano and cook, stirring, until the spinach is wilted, about 1 minute. Stir in the orzo, chickpeas, 1/2 cup feta, tomatoes, vinegar and salt; cook until heated through, about 1 minute.
- Divide the filling among the pepper halves and sprinkle each pepper with some of the remaining 1/4 cup feta.
- Other, Main Dishes
- Mediterranean/Middle Eastern