Last week YumSugar kicked off our new summer series - 14 weeks of ice cream sandwiches - with a delicious mint ice cream and cone cookie sandwich. For my first sandwich I thought it would be nice to begin with the classic chocolate cookie/vanilla ice cream combo. These little gourmet sandwiches - they're gourmet because they are homemade and much more sophisticated than their convenience store cousin - are super easy to make and involve NO gadgets! No Kitchenaid, ice cream maker, or hand mixer is necessary, so what are you waiting for?? Get the recipe now, enjoy this taste treat, just
1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup packed light brown sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 pint vanilla ice cream
- Position an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, using a wooden spoon, mix the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the milk and vanilla and mix until smooth. Beat in the egg until incorporated.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, cocoa, and baking soda until smooth and combined.
- Gradually mix the dry ingredients into the wet mixture until fully incorporated. Do not over mix or the dough will become tough.
- Form about 2 tablespoons of dough into 1 1/2-inch balls and place on ungreased cookie sheets about 2 inches apart. Press down lightly and gently round edges. Bake for about 12 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through baking.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely.
- Scoop about 1/3 cup ice cream and press between 2 cooled cookies. Freeze immediately until firm, about 1 hour, and then serve.
Makes about 12 sandwiches.