These days, I don't have a lot of time on my hands, so I seek out recipes that are simple while still being gourmet. That's why I love this no-muss, no-fuss, Latin twist on the classic American hot dog. A grilled bun is topped with chorizo and finished with a salsa fresca. You can use either Spanish or Mexican chorizo, but if you like a smoky flavor, try the Spanish, which is made with smoked pork. To get grilling with the recipe,
4 large plum tomatoes (about 1 pound), finely chopped
2 medium onions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons minced cilantro
1 garlic clove, minced
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
12 crusty rolls, split
Extra-virgin olive oil, for brushing
6 small chorizo sausages (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- In a medium bowl, mix the tomatoes, onions, cilantro, garlic, jalapeño, and lemon juice and season with salt.
- Light a grill or preheat a grill pan.
- Brush the rolls with olive oil and toast them on the grill or in the grill pan over moderate heat.
- Grill the chorizo until browned, about 20 minutes.
- Let the chorizo cool slightly, then cut each on the diagonal into 12 thin slices.
- Top each roll half with 3 slices of chorizo and 1 tablespoon of salsa and serve.
- Main Dishes, Pork
- South American