This no-fuss meal is a simple marriage of sweet (fruit jam), savory (pork tenderloin), and tart (green apple) flavor profiles.
The crisp apple also provides a great contrast to the heartiness of the pork. As with last week's Sunday BBQ dinner, any extra barbecue glaze makes a great dressing for grilled vegetables on the side.
To get grilling,
1/2 cup apricot jam
2 tablespoons cider vinegar
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for grill
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 1/2 pounds (about 1 1/2 inches each) pork tenderloin, halved lengthwise and cut into 16 cubes
1 medium red onion, cut into 8 wedges
1 Granny Smith apple, peeled and cut into 8 wedges
- Heat grill to medium-high.
- In a large bowl, combine jam, vinegar, tomato paste, and 1 tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Assemble 4 long skewers, alternating 4 pork cubes with 2 onion wedges and 2 apple wedges on each, beginning with pork and ending with apple. Roll skewers in remaining tablespoon oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Lightly oil grates. Place skewers on grill; cover grill, and cook, turning occasionally, until grill marks are visible, 6 to 8 minutes.
- Open grill; baste skewers with some sauce, and cook, turning skewers and basting occasionally with more sauce, until pork is no longer pink in the center and is nicely glazed, 4 to 8 minutes more.
Makes 4 skewers.
- Main Dishes, Pork
- North American