As much as I love a delicious grilled steak and a juicy bbq chicken, sometimes I get a little tired of the classic standbys. A whole salmon screams summer and makes for a perfect dinner party dish. Serve with a side salad and grilled tomatoes for a scrumptious, healthy well balanced meal. Pour a chilled white wine, sit back and relax because it's Sunday. Anxious to start your grocery shopping now? Well to get the recipe: read more
1 tablespoon each whole coriander, cumin, dill, and yellow-mustard seeds
2 tablespoons whole fennel seeds
1 tablespoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons sugar
whole four-pound side of salmon, skin on, small bones and excess fat removed
Spicy Cucumber Salsa, recipe below
- Combine all seeds in a skillet over medium heat; toast, shaking pan, until aromatic, 4 to 6 minutes. Grind seeds coarsely in a spice grinder or with a mortar and pestle.
- Transfer to a bowl; add salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Rub spice mixture into flesh side of salmon. Let stand 30 minutes; if not grilling right away, refrigerate, wrapped in plastic, for up to 2 days. Let salmon come to room temperature before grilling.
- Heat grill to hot; coals should be glowing red, and rack should be very hot. Brush both sides of salmon and hot rack with oil
- Grill salmon (if using a gas grill, close lid while cooking), flesh side down, until firm and slightly charred, 4 to 8 minutes.
- Carefully turn salmon using 2 large spatulas. Cook 4 to 6 minutes more, or until mostly opaque but slightly translucent and cooked through.
- Serve with cucumber salsa.
2 seedless cucumbers (2 pounds)
2 medium shallots, peeled and trimmed
1 1/2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
1 1/2 cups loosely packed fresh mint, chopped medium fine
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
- Peel cucumbers in strips for a striped effect. Cut in half lengthwise; remove any seeds. Cut crosswise into 1/8-inch slices.
- Combine cucumbers, shallots, jalapeno, and mint.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, salt, and pepper. Gradually whisk in olive oil until combined. Pour over cucumbers, and toss gently to combine. Serve.
Makes 6 cups.