A great Sunday dinner doesn't have to take all day to make, and a vegetarian meal doesn't have to be for herbivores alone. Keeping those two things in mind, I'm happy to share with you a delicious vegetarian meal that will hit the spot on any day of the week. This recipe for eggplant steak served with chickpeas and roasted red peppers is a great way to start off the week. To get the recipe, read more
Eggplant Steak with Chickpeas, Roasted Red Peppers, Feta Cheese and Black Olives
From Vegetarian Times magazine, August 2002
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 large eggplant, about 1 lb.
1 1/2 cups chickpeas, drained
2 medium-sized red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and cubed
1/4 lb feta cheese, cubed or crumbled
1/2 cup pitted black olives, preferably Greek or Moroccan
2 Tbsp chopped fresh oregano or Italian parsley
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
4 (6 1/2-inch round) pita breads
4 tsp balsamic vinegar
1 bunch fresh oregano as garnish
- To make marinade, combine ingredients, slowly adding olive oil and stirring briskly to combine well. Set aside.
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Cut eggplant lengthwise into four ½-inch-thick slices to resemble steaks. Brush “steaks” with marinade.
- Grill or broil eggplant for 2 minutes on each side, or until tender but not soft. Remove from heat and place 1 steak on each serving plate.
- Place chickpeas, red peppers, feta, black olives and oregano in small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and stir to combine well. Add some marinade and stir again. Toast or grill pita bread and cut into pie-shaped wedges and set aside.
- Spoon 1 or 2 scoops of pepper-olive mixture on eggplant steak with some mixture pooling onto plate. Sprinkle with balsamic vinegar, place several pita wedges on plate and garnish eggplant with several sprigs fresh oregano. Repeat with remaining ingredients until used up, making sure pepper-olive mixture spills over top of eggplant and onto plate. Serve immediately.