When I was a kid, my mom would always save the white chicken meat for my dad. It wasn't until I was a bit older that I realized it created the best situation for my mom. By saving the white meat, she was able to look like a nice wife and she was able to save the best part of the chicken for herself. The white meat of the bird is very tasty, however it's the complex dark meat that is oh-so-delicious. If you enjoy the flavor as much as I do, then check out this recipe I found for Lemon Roasted Chicken Thighs. It's a quick meal — however it does require quite a long marinating time — that will be perfect for your Sunday evening. To get the recipe, read more
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
zest and juice of 1 large lemon
1 medium shallot, diced
2 tablespoons white wine
1 1/2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 1/2 cups chanterelle mushrooms
sea salt, to taste
cracked black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup diced pancetta
1/2 medium red onion, cut in wedges through the root
4 golden potatoes or new potatoes, cut in large chunks
4 sprigs fresh thyme
- Mix together lemon zest and juice, shallot, wine and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil. Place chicken thighs in a shallow dish and pour lemon juice mixture over them. Cover and refrigerate for 2 to 12 hours.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Add mushrooms and sauté until they start to release their juices, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove mushrooms from pan and set aside.
- Add pancetta to mushroom pan and brown over medium heat, about 5 minutes. Set aside with mushrooms.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Strain the liquid from the chicken, reserving the shallots and lemon zest and discarding the liquid. Place chicken, shallots, lemon zest, onion, potatoes, thyme, mushrooms and pancetta in a roasting pan. Stir lightly to combine ingredients.
- Roast for 15 minutes. Cover and continue cooking 25 to 30 minutes, basting occasionally, until juices run clear when a piece of chicken is pierced with a knife. Serve immediately.
Per serving (About 14.5oz/418g-wt.): 500 calories (160 from fat), 18g total fat, 4g saturated fat, 35g protein, 51g total carbohydrate (5g dietary fiber, 6g sugar), 105mg cholesterol, 360mg sodium