In the Fall, when the pears are plentiful, I enjoy experimenting with new pear preparations. Doesn't this one for a pear pizza sound scrumptious and interesting? It's not a sweet dessert pie, but a savory entree that makes for a delicious dinner. The other toppings include brown-sugar-coated bacon, cream cheese, green onions, feta cheese, and fresh basil. Each ingredient provides a different texture that gives the pizza depth, complexity, and richness. Sliced into smaller pieces, it would be an excellent appetizer.
I'm betting this recipe's a winner, so learn how it's made after the jump.
- Nonstick cooking spray
5 slices bacon
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1 pear, cored and sliced
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/2 of an 8-oz. tub cream cheese
1/4 cup chopped green onions
1 12-inch Italian bread shell (Boboli) or other pizza dough of your liking
1/3 cup chopped pecans
1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese
1/4 cup fresh basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line bottom of rimmed baking pan with foil and spray with cooking spray. Arrange bacon slices on pan; set aside. In small bowl stir together brown sugar and chili powder. Generously sprinkle brown sugar mixture on bacon slices. Bake for 15 minutes or until browned; remove and set aside.
- Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F.
- In small bowl toss together pear slices and lemon juice; set aside.
- In medium bowl stir together cream cheese, onions, and black pepper to taste. Place pizza crust on clean baking sheet. Spread cream cheese mixture on crust.
- Chop bacon and evenly sprinkle on cheese mixture. Arrange pear slices on bacon. Top with pecans and feta cheese.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes or until cheese begins to brown. Sprinkle with basil and pass honey for drizzling.
- Main Dishes, Pizza
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.