As a child, I was excited when my mom would declare, "Tonight we're having breakfast for dinner." Usually this involved pancakes or waffles, but now that I'm older, "breakfast for dinner" must include eggs. Today, I'm looking forward to trying this delicious-sounding recipe that combines sweet potatoes with onions and bacon to create a bed for poached eggs. A quick and simple hollandaise sauce is made fiery by the addition of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce.
If you don't have time to poach eggs, consider topping the hash with fried eggs instead. Learn how to make this meal, after the jump.
- 8 slices thick-sliced bacon
3 medium sweet potatoes, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
1 medium onion, chopped
Salt and ground black pepper
2 to 4 Tbsp. pure maple syrup
2 Tbsp. cider vinegar
1 cup milk
1/4 cup butter
1 .9-oz. envelope hollandaise sauce mix
1 Tbsp. chopped canned chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- In 12-inch skillet cook bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels. Crumble half of bacon. Drain all but 3 tablespoons drippings from skillet. Meanwhile cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water for 3 minutes or until just tender; drain.
- In skillet, cook onion in hot drippings until tender. Add sweet potatoes and cook until potatoes begin to crisp and brown. Season to taste with salt and pepper; transfer to bowl. Stir in crumbled bacon and maple syrup; keep warm.
- Rinse skillet and fill half full of water. Add vinegar to water; bring to boiling. Reduce heat to simmer (bubbles should barely break the surface of the water).
- Break one egg into measuring cup. Holding the lip of the cup as close to the water as possible, slide egg slowly into water. Repeat with remaining eggs, allowing each egg an equal amount of space. Simmer eggs, uncovered, for 3 to 5 minutes or until the whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. Remove eggs with slotted spoon and place them in large pan of warm water to keep them warm.
- In small saucepan, combine milk, butter, and hollandaise sauce mix. Whisk and heat over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Stir in peppers.
- To serve, transfer sweet potato hash to serving plate, top with two poached eggs, and cover eggs with hollandaise. Top with bacon strips and chives.
- Main Dishes, Eggs
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.