1 quart whole milk
1 quart half-and-half
1 cup sugar
2-1/2 cups uncooked Arborio rice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 vanilla bean, split
4 to 6 whole cloves, tied in a 100-percent-cotton cheesecloth bag
- In a 3-1/2- or 4-quart slow cooker stir together milk, half-and-half, sugar, rice, and salt. Add vanilla bean and cloves. Cover and cook on low heat setting for 5 hours. Do not stir.
- Remove vanilla bean and cloves. Let stand 15 to 30 minutes before serving. (If pudding gets too thick upon standing, stir in additional milk to make desired consistency.) Serve warm or chilled with strawberry sauce.
Makes 16 servings.
- Fruit, Desserts
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup strawberries, washed and hulled
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup arborio rice
1/4 cup white wine
3/4 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Bring chicken stock to a boil over high heat. Add strawberries and blanch for 30 seconds. Remove berries, purée in a food processor, and set aside. Turn off heat and cover stock.
- Melt butter in a heavy pan over low heat. Add rice and stir constantly for 1 minute. Add wine, cooking till absorbed. Add stock, 1⁄2 cup at a time, stirring constantly; allow rice to absorb each 1⁄2 cup before adding more. Rice should cook in about 25 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Stir in berries and parmigiano-reggiano. Season with salt and pepper.
- Rice, Main Dishes