On Sunday night's episode of Desperate Housewives, there was a very funny party scene where crab cakes played a key role in Edie discovering Carlos' affair. While BuzzSugar was a little disgusted by this scene, it actually made me want to make mini crab cakes!
The crab cakes were served as delicious appetizers at Bree's baby shower, and they make a scrumptious hors d'oeuvre or first course at just about any type of party. For the recipe and to watch the clip from the show,
1 lb. lump crabmeat
1/2 stick unsalted butter
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
1/8 c. red pepper, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. paprika
4 to 10 drops hot sauce
2 Tbsp. tartar sauce
2 slices of day oldwhite bread, torn into small pieces
sea salt and pepper to taste
1/2 c. Panko breadcrumbs
1 organic lemon, cut into wedges
Cocktail Sauce, for serving
- Heat one-tablespoon butter in sauté pan. Add onions, red pepper and garlic. Sauté until soft, about 3 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Whisk together eggs. Worcestershire sauce, paprika, hot sauce, tartar sauce and cooked vegetables.
- Gently fold in crab and bread. Lightly form mixture into silver dollar sized crab cakes.
- Place on a baking sheet and chill for one hour.
- Heat remaining butter in sauté pan over medium heat. Press breadcrumbs into crab cakes. Cook for 2 minutes per side.
- Serve hot with lemon wedges and cocktail sauce.
Makes 12 cakes.
Photo copyright 2007 ABC, Inc.