Like a good chunk of the nation, I have become enamored by Ugly Betty. The show is so cute, ridiculous and just plain fun (besides, America Ferrera is just so cute and endearing!).
On last week's episode (called "In or Out"), Betty's sister, Hilda, loses her job and decides to start a business selling her pop's cupcakes (check out BuzzSugar for the full Ugly Betty recap). Now, I've searched all over the web for "Grandma Saurez's" cupcakes, and can't find anything regarding an official recipe (let me know if you find one!). However my search led me to something even tastier: a secret flan recipe from Ignacio Suarez (aka Betty's Dad)!
To learn how to make flan Ugly Betty style, read more
From ABC's BettySuarez.com - written by Ugly Betty herself
1 cup white sugar
3 or 4 eggs (depending on your taste)
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Unless it is our oven, which runs too hot and then too cold so we set it at 200, then move the dial to 500 after 15 minutes.
- Melt sugar in a saucepan over low heat until it's liquidy and golden. Tell a story about the old country being "sugar" and America being "syrup." Pour liquid sugar into baking dish. Be sure to cover the sides.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl. Repeate over and over how mom made the best flan and this doesn't even come close. Stir in condensed milk, evaporated milk and vanilla until smooth. Pour mixture into baking dish. Cover with "tin foil."
- Bake for 60 minutes. Then let cool while you sneak a cup of coffee.
- Invert it carefully onto a precious serving plate your mother hand carved from Mexico. Share the serving plate story for the 800th time.
- Serve flan. Tell Justin it is "fat-free."
I love the Betty notes on every step. And Fat Free!? Ha!