Bourbon tastes fine, but we think it’s worth purchasing the real deal — Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey — for this recipe. Watch the glaze closely during the last few minutes of cooking — the bubbles become very small as it approaches the right consistency.
- 1/2 cup Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Whiskey or bourbon
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 (8- to 10-ounce) bone-in, center-cut pork chops, about 1 inch thick, trimmed
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Whisk whiskey, cider, sugar, 2 teaspoons vinegar, mustard, vanilla, and cayenne together in bowl. Transfer 1/4 cup whiskey mixture to 1-gallon zipper-lock bag, add pork chops, press air out of bag, and seal. Turn bag to coat chops with marinade and refrigerate 1 to 2 hours. Reserve remaining whiskey mixture separately.
- Remove chops from bag, pat dry with paper towels, and discard marinade. Heat oil in 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Season chops with salt and pepper and cook until well browned on both sides and a peek into thickest part of a chop using paring knife yields still-pink meat 1/4 inch from surface, 6 to 8 minutes, flipping chops halfway through cooking. Transfer chops to plate and cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Add reserved whiskey mixture to skillet and bring to boil, scraping up any browned bits with wooden spoon. Cook until reduced to thick glaze, 3 to 5 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and, holding on to chops, tip plate to add any accumulated juices back to skillet. Add remaining 2 teaspoons vinegar, whisk in butter, and simmer glaze until thick and sticky, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove pan from heat.
- Return chops to skillet and let rest in pan, turning chops occasionally to coat both sides, until sauce clings to chops and meat registers 145 degrees, about 5 minutes. Transfer chops to platter and spoon sauce over. Serve.
- Main Dishes, Pork
- North American
- Serves 4