You can't go wrong with corn, chicken, cheddar cheese, and chiles wrapped up in a warm tortilla. This simple supper is a great recipe to cook up in a pinch and everyone is bound to enjoy it. I had chicken tenders on hand, so I used those and the recipe was even easier and quicker to cook. Employ fresh corn since it's in season and adds great flavor. You can serve this in a tortilla (like I did) with a little salsa and avocado or offer it with rice and a side salad. Bring this tasty Tex-Mex dish to your kitchen table by reading more.
- 1-1/4 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, trimmed and sliced 1/4 inch thick
1-1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. ground cumin
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3-1/2 Tbs. unsalted butter
1-1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
1 medium jalapeño, seeded if desired and thinly sliced
1 large clove garlic, minced
2–3 medium limes, 1 or 2 juiced to yield 3 Tbs. and 1 cut into wedges
1 Tbs. chopped fresh oregano
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar
- Position a rack about 4 inches from the broiler and heat the broiler to high. Toss the chicken with the chili powder, cumin, 3/4 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper. Lightly dredge the chicken in the flour and shake off any excess.
- Melt 2-1/2 Tbs. of the butter in a 12-inch ovenproof skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the remaining 1 Tbs. butter, the corn, jalapeño, garlic, and 1/2 tsp. salt. Cook, stirring, until the corn begins to brown lightly, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, lime juice, oregano, and 1/2 cup water (optional). Cook, stirring, until the chicken is just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the Cheddar and transfer the skillet to the broiler. Broil until the cheese melts and browns on top, about 3 minutes. Serve with lime wedges.
- Poultry, Main Dishes
Have a favorite chicken dish? Share your recipe with our Kitchen Goddess group. We might even feature your recipe on YumSugar!
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.