When it comes to Thanksgiving, the humble salad is not one of the spectacular standout sides. It's overshadowed by more showy dishes like creamy mashed potatoes with rich giblet gravy or melt-in-your-mouth stuffing with juicy sausage. However, with interesting ingredients and a proper homemade vinaigrette, the salad can be transformed into a side worthy of competing with the best potatoes and stuffing.
Follow this recipe for a beet and butternut squash salad and you'll end up with a remarkably textured and flavorful salad that's pretty to look at and satisfying to eat. The dried cranberry dressing that coats the vegetables, leafy greens, and crunchy pumpkin seeds are sheer perfection, and the liberal shaving of salty parmesan is the ideal garnish. To check out this seasonal salad recipe, keep reading.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and halved
4 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 cup olive oil
1 cup hulled pumpkin seeds
3 heads bibb lettuce
1 head frisee lettuce
1 cup dried cranberries, soaked in 1/3 cup water for 30 minutes
1/4 cup sherry vinegar
1 shallot, finely diced
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 cup blanched, peeled golden beets, cut into quarters
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shaved
Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Remove the seeds from the squash and cut into 1-inch dice. Toss the squash with the chopped garlic and 1/2 cup oil. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 8 minutes. Remove and allow time to cool.
- In a small skillet over medium heat, toast the pumpkin seeds until lightly golden and season with salt.
- Pick and wash the leaves of the lettuce and frisee. Roughly chop.
- Puree the reconstituted cranberries and water in a food processor. Pour into a small bowl and whisk together with the vinegar, shallot, mustard and 1/4 cup oil.
- In a large salad bowl, toss together the lettuce, cooled squash, pumpkin seeds, beets, parsley, and cranberry dressing. Top with shaved parmesan, salt, and pepper, and serve.
- Vegetables, Salads
- North American
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.