I've made it twice; once in a panini and another time on the stove, and I found that it works better in a sauté pan. When it cooked in the panini, everything oozed out the sides. Whatever way you cook it, this sandwich is absolutely delicious and I highly recommend you try it — it's perfect for meatless Mondays! Check out the recipe after the break.
3 tablespoons butter
1/2 large yellow onion, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced (about 1 1/2 cups)
1 medium firm pear (such as Bosc), peeled, cored, and cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme
1/3 teaspoon salt
Freshly ground black pepper
3 ounces creamy blue cheese (such as Maytag, Point Reyes Original Blue, or gorgonzola), at room temperature
8 sandwich-size slices sourdough bread
6 ounces brie cheese, sliced 1/4-inch thick
8 ounces mozzarella cheese, coarsely grated
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until limp but not brown, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pear and thyme and cook just until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the salt and pepper. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine the blue cheese with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter and mash with a fork until well mixed.
- To assemble, spread the blue cheese butter on one side of each of the bread slices. Place 4 slices of bread, buttered side down, on your work surface. Lay the Brie slices on the bread. Follow with the onion-pear mixture and finish with the mozzarella. Top with the remaining bread slices, buttered side up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes. Put the sandwiches into a pan, cover, and cook for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn the sandwiches, pressing each one firmly with a spatula to compress the filling slightly. Cover and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until the undersides are well browned. Turn the sandwiches once more, press firmly with the spatula again, cook for 1 minute, and remove from the pan. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut in half and serve.
- Alternately, preheat your sandwich maker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
Makes 4 sandwiches.
- Main Dishes, Sandwiches
- North American