No specialty cocktail is needed at an Okotberfest celebration, the German festival is all about one thing — beer. Instead invite friends to partake in a beer tasting! There are several different ways to host a beer tasting. You can get the same kinds of beers, say German pilsners, all made by different breweries. You could select one brewery, purchase all the varieties of beer they make, and serve those. Or you can just buy a bunch of beers from various styles and regions. Head to Bevmo, Trader Joe's, or other local shop that sells a wide assortment of beers and purchase six packs or larger bottles for the tasting. To get more beer-tasting tips
- When selecting beers, think about the likes and dislikes of your guests. If the majority of people enjoy lighter style beers, get those. On the other hand, if your guests are adventurous drinkers, consider picking up hoppier/darker ales.
- Handle the beer carefully and be sure to properly chill it.
- Like wine, beer requires appropriate glasses for each type. However, for the sake of the tasting, simply serve the beer in standard glasses. Avoid using plastic or paper cups.
- Drink slowly and take note of the beer's color, aroma, and head. Discuss how it tastes.
- Each pour should be about 3-4 ounces.
- Host the tasting before dinner and have extra bottles on hand to enjoy while consuming the meal.
Have you thrown a beer tasting? Please tell us about your experience below!