One of my pantry staples is canned/jarred marinated artichoke hearts. I always have these babies on hand because there is so much that you can do with them. Toss them with pasta and vegetables for a quick dinner or mix with cheese, homemade mayonnaise, and green onions for an instant appetizer at the arrival of an unexpected guest. Marinated artichokes can liven up store bought salad greens or be blitzed into a creamy soup with an onion, potato, and broth. However, tonight I'm in the mood for pizza, so I'll use the little hearts to top a crisp, irresistible pizza. The recipe is vegetarian but if you want to add meat try adding ham - in one of its more glamorous forms - will pair perfectly with the artichokes and feta. Take a quick look at the super easy recipe,
1 6.5-ounce jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained, 2 tablespoons marinade reserved
1 tablespoon yellow cornmeal
1 10-ounce tube refrigerated pizza crust dough
6 ounces plum tomatoes, thinly sliced into rounds
1 cup crumbled herb-seasoned feta cheese (about 4 ounces)
1/2 medium-size sweet onion (such as Vidalia or Maui), thinly sliced
2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh mint
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Cut artichokes into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle baking sheet with yellow cornmeal. Unroll pizza crust dough onto prepared baking sheet; press out dough to 11-inch square. Brush dough with 1 tablespoon reserved marinade.
- Top dough with artichokes, plum tomato slices, crumbled herb-seasoned feta cheese and sweet onion slices.
- Drizzle with remaining 1 tablespoon marinade.
- Bake pizza until crust is crisp and golden, about 15 minutes.
- Transfer to platter. Sprinkle with mint. Cut pizza into 4 squares and serve.
Serves 2; can be doubled.