My sister is a huge procrastinator. She waits until the last minute, buckles down under pressure, and then produces a fabulous finish. If you are anything like her, you've waited until this morning to figure out the menu for Valentine's Day dinner. Luckily I'm not a procrastinator and have found an easy, yet exceptional recipe for your last minute romantic dinner: a steak seasoned with Moroccan spices and served with sweet potatoes. Definitely not your everyday meal, the spice rub infuses the meat and the potatoes to create juicy, excellent end results. Toss in a simple sautéed spinach side and a glass of Zinfandel. Dim the lights, turn up the mood music and voila(!) instant Valentine's Day dinner. To turn up the heat with this meal, read more
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 pound strip steak, trimmed of visible fat and cut into 4 portions
2 medium sweet potatoes (about 1 pound total), peeled and very thinly sliced
1 medium red onion, halved and very thinly sliced
4 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Preheat grill to high.
- Combine allspice, cumin, ginger, salt, cinnamon, coriander and cayenne
in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle steaks with 4 1/2 teaspoons of the spice mixture.
- Toss sweet potatoes and onion with canola oil, orange zest and the remaining spice mixture.
- To make a packet, lay 2 24-inch sheets of foil on top of each other (the double layers will help protect the ingredients from burning); generously coat the top piece with cooking spray. Spread half of the sweet potato mixture in the center of the foil in a thin layer. Bring the short ends of foil together, fold over and pinch to seal. Pinch the seams together along the sides to seal the packet.
- Repeat with two more sheets of foil and the remaining sweet potato mixture.
- Place the packets on the hottest part of the grill and cook, switching the packets' positions on the grill halfway through cooking, 5 minutes per side.
- Place the steaks in the front or back and cook, turning once, about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium-rare.
- Transfer the steaks to plates and let rest while the packets finish cooking. Open the packets (be careful of steam) and serve alongside the steaks.
NUTRITION INFORMATION: Per serving: 337 calories; 18 g fat (6 g sat, 8 g mono); 69 mg cholesterol; 20 g carbohydrate; 22 g protein; 3 g fiber; 347 mg sodium; 480 mg potassium. Nutrition bonus: Vitamin A (220% daily value), Zinc (26% dv), Vitamin C (20% dv). 1 Carbohydrate Serving Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 medium-fat meats, 1 fat