FitSugar would be so proud of tonight's all vegetable dinner recipe. Basically it's 2 healthy salads in 1. Healthy is emphasized because the veggies are tossed in a light evoo (yes I know that it is a Rachael Ray-ism, but come on, it's also a very handy abbreviation and I've been abbreviating long before Ms. Ray came along), vinegar, and mustard emulsion - instead of a heavy mayonnaise buttermilk based dressing. Three types of roasted mushrooms make the salad hearty, filling, and figure friendly. When we consume foods packed with various flavors - as in this dish - the mind gets tricked into believing we are eating more than we really are. To pile this salad on your plate,
1 pound fresh asparagus, medium thick with nice, tight tips
4 ounces portabellini mushrooms
4 ounces oyster mushrooms
4 ounces shiitake mushrooms
4 ounces baby greens
2 ounces balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
5 ounces extra virgin olive oil, plus about 2 tablespoons to coat vegetables
Kosher salt, fresh ground pepper
- Using a medium sized saucepan, fill 3/4 with water and bring to a boil.
- When boiling, drop in asparagus (trim root end back to green of the stalk). Let water return to a boil, remove, drain and plunge into a bowl of ice water to stop the cooking process. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Cut asparagus into two-inch long pieces, on the bias.
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Brush dirt from mushrooms, and slice into 1/4 inch-thick slices.
- In a small bowl, combine vinegar, mustard and garlic. Whisk in the olive oil slowly to form and emulsion. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine the sliced mushrooms, the asparagus and the two tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Place single layer on a cookie sheet and roast in oven for 10 minutes until mushrooms start to brown. Remove, let cool.
- In a bowl, combine salad greens with a little of the dressing to coat greens. Toss roasted vegetables with a few tablespoons of the dressing.
- Arrange greens on a plate, top with the roasted vegetables.
Nutritional information: 440 calories, 306 calories from fat, 36.3g total fat, 4.9g saturated fat, 0g of cholesterol, 33mg sodium, 29.0g total carbohydrate, 5.8g dietary fiber, 6.5g protein