Eating food that is packed with many flavors is a great way to incorporate a healthy diet into your lifestyle. There are so many tastes at once that your brain gets fooled into thinking you are eating a lot more than you really are. Today's Special is a perfect example of a simple, flavor packed meal that is filling, delicious, vegetarian friendly, and good for you. Soy sauce, mirin, and scrambled eggs get paired with pepper jack cheese, black beans, and a flour tortilla to create a dinner that will enliven your senses. A dish that is both Asian and Mexican at the same time? Your stomach won't know what hit it. For the recipe, read more
2 teaspoons canola oil
1/2 cup spinach
1 teaspoon mirin
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1 green onion, chopped
1 small garlic clove, chopped
1 large burrito-size (about 9 1/4 inches wide) flour tortilla
1/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
1/4 cup canned black beans
1/4 cup steamed rice
1/3 cup mung bean sprouts (optional)
Sriracha sauce or regular salsa
5 cilantro sprigs, chopped
1/2 fresh lime
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the spinach and saute until just wilted. Set aside.
- Beat the egg in a small bowl. Add the mirin, sugar, soy sauce, green onion and garlic.
- Heat the remaining 1 teaspoon oil in the same skillet and scramble the egg mixture in it.
- Microwave the tortilla between two slightly damp paper towels for 30 seconds.
- Place the steamed tortilla on a 10-inch-long piece of aluminum foil.
- Put the cheese in a pile in the middle of the tortilla. Add the scrambled egg and sauteed spinach. Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the egg and spinach.
- Add the black beans and rice, and if desired, mung bean sprouts. Add sriracha sauce to taste. Sprinkle on the cilantro and squeeze lime juice over all.
- Using the foil as a base, fold the bottom third of the tortilla up over the filling, pushing down on the pile as you roll forward. Take the left side of the tortilla that has no filling and fold it over the filling. Do the same with the right side, shifting the filling as it forms a tube shape.
- To hold the burrito together, wrap the foil around the burrito the same way.
- Twist close the top if you are saving it for later. This will keep in the fridge for one day.
- Reheat in a 350° oven for 20 minutes. When ready to eat, simply peel the foil back as you eat.
Per serving: 450 calories, 15 g protein, 51 g carbohydrate, 20 g fat (3 g saturated), 213 mg cholesterol, 768 mg sodium, 5 g fiber.