- Cheese and cured meats. They have a good shelf life and make a super quick appetizer.
- Pickles and olives. Serve in small bowls along side the cheese and cured meats and you'll have a pretty nice spread.
- Pasta. Tom makes broccoli rabe and garlic pasta with parmesan cheese and black pepper at least once a week.
- Roast chicken. The chef likes to keep a store-bought chicken in the fridge at all times. He and his wife pick at it all week. If unexpected guests arrive for dinner, Tom jazzes up the chicken with a homemade sauce.
- Biscotti. When it comes to dessert, the Italian cookies are a blank canvas. Offer with a scoop of ice cream, coffee, cheese, or fruit syrup.
- Mascarpone cheese. Every morning for breakfast, Tom enjoys a slice of toast slathered with mascarpone cheese.
Tom also pointed out that he's not afraid of using store-bought items. Tapenade, red onion jam, walnuts in honey, and figs preserved in rum are some of the products he'll purchase to make a speedy, yet scrumptious dinner. What are your kitchen staples?