In terms of deliciously simple sandwiches the best, in my opinion, after the grilled cheese is the tuna melt. A quintessential American sandwich, the tuna melt is sublimely good tuna smashed with oozy cheese between two slices of crisped, buttery bread. It makes an excellent afternoon snack, fast & easy dinner, or late night treat. An advanced level of culinary skill is not necessary unless you want to get fancy and use homemade mayonnaise. For tuna melts two ways
1 can (6 oz.) tuna, drained, flaked
3 Tbsp. mayonnaise
2 Tbsp. chopped celery
8 slices white bread
8 slices cheddar cheese
8 tsp. vegetable oil spread
- Mix tuna, mayo and celery; set aside.
- Cover one bread slice with one piece of cheese, 1/4 of the tuna mixture and a second piece of cheese. Top with second bread slice. Repeat to make 4 sandwiches.
- Spread outsides of sandwiches evenly with vegetable oil spread.
- Cook in skillet on medium heat for 3 to 4 min. on each sides or until lightly browned on both sides.
Albacore Tuna and Artichoke Salad:
2 cups drained canned tuna
2/3 cup chopped artichoke hearts
1/4 cup sliced roasted red peppers
2 teaspoon minced lemon zest
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon chopped parsley leaves
Salt and pepper
Fresh Herb and Garlic Aioli:
3 egg yolks, plus 1 whole egg*
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons roasted garlic
1 lemon, juiced
2 cups olive oil
1 cup canola oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh sage leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons minced thyme leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons minced rosemary leaves
Salt and pepper
8 slices kalamata olive bread
1 small red onion, sliced
4 slices provolone
- In a bowl, combine all ingredients for the salad. Keep refrigerated until ready to serve.
- For the aioli: in a food processor combine first 5 ingredients. Turn on processor and slowly add the oils for emulsification. Add the herbs, and salt and pepper. This sauce is enough aioli for 10 sandwiches.
- Spread aioli on the slices of bread. Top with tuna salad, sliced red onion, cheese, and the other slice of bread.
- Grill on panini press for 3 to 5 minutes.