Tuna tartare is one of those dishes that we love to order at restaurants, but never really made at home — that is, until now. We spent some time with Top Chef contestant Stefan Richter to learn the best way to prepare this raw fish dish. Watch the video to learn how easy it is to make in your own kitchen, then read more to print Stefan Richter's recipe for tuna tartare.
- For the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet chile sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons siracha
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped lemongrass
- 1 tablespoon minced and peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon Thai curry paste
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon fish sauce
- For the tartare:
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/2 lb. raw sushi-grade tuna
- Chopped cilantro and sesame seeds, to taste
- To make the sauce: combine all of the ingredients in a medium saucepan. Stir well. Heat over high heat until sauce comes to a boil.
- Transfer the sauce to a food processor or blender and carefully blend.
- Pour into a bowl that is set over an ice water bath. Let cool.
- Once the sauce is cool, mix 2 tablespoons of the sauce with the 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
- Cut the avocado and the tuna into uniform 1/2-inch squares.
- Carefully fold the tuna, avocado, and sauce together. Mix in the chopped cilantro and sesame seeds. Stir and serve.
- Seafood, Appetizers
- Other Asian