Yesterday, I dropped by a Macy's Culinary Council  event to see Food Network  star Tyler Florence . He was kicking off the tour for his two latest books, Stirring the Pot  and Dinner at My Place . He talked to a packed audience about his recent move to California, his upcoming plans in the television, wine, and restaurant industries. My favorite part of the discussion, however, was when Tyler talked kitchen essentials.
"I can cook a meal on the top of a car in a junkyard," he declared. He believes anyone can cook with seven essential kitchen tools:
- Skillet, for omelets and eggs
- Saucepan, for soups and sauces
- Larger pot for cooking steaks, tenderloin, and pork chops
- Chef's knife, for cutting meat and vegetables
- Paring knife, for cutting fruit and smaller items
- Bread knife, with serrated edges
- Cutting board, for all purposes
Not only were Tyler's tips  helpful for those who are new to cooking, but he also demonstrated that one doesn't need to have a bunch of fancy tools to cook a fabulous meal. Are your kitchen essentials the same as Tyler's?