With Valentine's Day around the corner, I wanted to get a head start on finding the perfect recipe for my sweetie. Looking through my cookbooks, one caught my eye as the ideal place to start — The Wine Lover's Dessert Cookbook. This book is dedicated to creating delicious desserts that accompany a variety of different wines. While I drooled over many, I decided to experiment with the triple-chocolate buttermilk loaf cake.
After seeing the Bites of Love series on lilsugar, instead of baking a loaf, I divided the batter into mini muffin tins to create a dainty two-bite dessert. Chocoholics will be in heaven with the complex and rich flavor of three different types of chocolate: dark chocolate, semisweet chips, and cocoa powder. These moist bread bites would be superb with a bold red wine or ruby port. If you and your honey don't drink wine, these minicakes would be romantic at breakfast with a cup of coffee. To get started on these irresistible triple-chocolate bread bites,
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup of sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
2 ounces dark chocolate melted and cooled to room temperature
1 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Generously butter and flour mini muffin tin
- Sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, salt. Set aside.
- Beat together the butter, sugar, and vanilla at medium speed using a standing mixer or electric mixer until very creamy, about 4 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at time, incorporating each completely before adding the next and scraping down the bowl between additions. Add the melted dark chocolate and beat to combine.
- Beat in half of the flour mixture, then the buttermilk, then the remaining flour, mixing each time just until all ingredients are incorporated. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Fill each mini muffin 3/4 full. Bake for 12-15 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Wait a couple minutes before removing. Once removed, allow to cool on a cooling rack.
Makes one loaf or approximately 72 mini muffins.
- Desserts, Breads