For a friend's bridal shower, I'm not just offering a dessert, but I've also decided to set up a color-coded candy bar. Instead of giving everyone a favor that they will never use, I'll have them fill a bag with edible treats to take it home. Since purple is the theme color (it matches the invitations), I plan on getting purple sweets and baked goods like M&Ms and macaroons. As for the delectable finish to the shower, I'll serve cupcakes. They look pretty on display and are always enjoyed. This recipe is for vanilla cupcakes with chocolate frosting. They are simple, but scrumptious.
Learn how they are made after the break.
1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1-1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup sour cream
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup chocolate liqueur
White frosting, recipe below
- Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Line 18 2-1/2-inch muffin cups with paper bake cups.
- In large mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter, granulated sugar, and oil with electric mixer on medium speed to combine. Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- In separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Add half the dry ingredients to the butter mixture and blend well. Add 1/4 cup sour cream; blend. Add the remaining dry ingredients; blend. Add remaining sour cream and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla; blend.
- Fill lined cups three-quarters full. Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes on wire rack in pans 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on wire racks.
Makes 18 cupcakes.
White Frosting: In large mixing bowl beat 1/2 cup butter, 1/4 cup chocolate liqueur, 2 tablespoons whipping cream, and 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla with electric mixer on medium-high speed. Beat in one 16-ounce box powdered sugar until combined.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American