Although it's almost the end of Summer, we aren't ready to give up our beloved berries just yet. Thus, for the next two weeks, we'll be devoting our attention to perfectly pink raspberries. To kick off the fun, I made these amazing cupcakes. Basically they are a vanilla cupcake filled with lemon curd and topped with a whipped raspberry frosting. It's a somewhat laborious process, but the final cupcake is worth it. I advise serving them at something like a bridal shower or birthday party — everyone's praises of how delicious they are will make you happy that you tried out the recipe. Learn how it's done after the break.
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
5 large eggs, separated
1 3/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
1 cup plus scant 1/3 cup cake flour (not self-rising)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sour cream
Whipped Raspberry Frosting, recipe below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard muffin tins with cupcake liners; set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add vanilla; beat to combine. Add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together both flours, baking powder, and salt into a large bowl. With the mixer on low, add flour mixture; mix until well combined. Add sour cream; mix until well combined.
- In a clean bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently fold egg whites into batter.
- Fill each muffin cup half full with batter. Transfer muffin tins to oven and bake until a skewer inserted into the center of one of the cupcakes comes out clean, 20 to 24 minutes. Let cupcakes cool completely.
- Using an apple corer, make a hole in the top of each cupcake, taking care not to push the corer through the bottom; remove cake from hole. Fill a squirt bottle with lemon curd and squeeze curd into holes.
- Fit a pastry bag with a 3/8-inch plain round tip and fill with frosting. Pipe in a circular motion on top of each cupcake. Top with a raspberry.
Whipped Raspberry Frosting
2 cups fresh raspberries, rinsed
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
2 cups heavy cream
3 tablespoons sugar
- Combine raspberries and sugar in a saucepan and cook over medium heat. Stir mixture mashing with a spoon until it's liquid, about 10-15 minutes.
- Stir in gelatin, continue to cook until dissolved. Remove from heat and transfer to a medium sized bowl. Refrigerate overnight.
- Beat heavy cream on high until stiff peaks form. Add the three tablespoons of sugar and beat until combined.
- With a wire whisk, mix about a third of the whipped cream into raspberry mixture mashing the raspberry gelatin mixture. Whisk in remaining whipped cream.
- Desserts, Cupcakes
- North American