This holiday season, treat your friends, family, and loved ones to a homemade edible gift. We've compiled 30 of our favorite edible gifts — including this recipe — so you can deliciously DIY.
During Winter, nothing epitomizes warmth more than a steaming cup of rich hot chocolate. This holiday, why not package that feeling for your loved ones by making a thoughtful homemade version of the stuff? Unlike store-bought mix, which often tastes chalky and watered down, this edible gift is velvety in texture and pure chocolatey in flavor. This year, I'm making a large batch and distributing individually decorated packages of mix to members of my extended family. Make your own version of this luscious-tasting hot chocolate mix.
- 4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 vanilla bean, split crosswise
1-1/2 pounds high-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
8 ounces milk chocolate, coarsely chopped
2 cups unsweetened cocoa powder, preferably Dutch process
- To make hot chocolate mix: Place sugar in large bowl. Split half vanilla bean lengthwise, scrape seeds into sugar, and add pod. Work seeds in with your fingers. Cover snugly with plastic wrap and let stand overnight at room temperature.
- In food processor fitted with metal blade, process semisweet chocolate and milk chocolate until finely ground, using 4-second pulses. (Process in two batches if necessary.)
- Remove pod from sugar. Add ground chocolate and cocoa powder to sugar and whisk to blend.
- To gift: carefully transfer mix to decorative jars. Add instruction labels for recipients: "For each serving, heat 8 ounces milk in a small saucepan over medium heat until scalded (alternatively, microwave 2-1/2 minutes at full power). Whisk in 1/4 to 1/3 cup hot chocolate mix. Serve with whipped cream or marshmallows. Mix keeps airtight at room temperature for up to six months."
- Drinks, Hot Drinks
- North American
- Makes 10 cups of hot chocolate mix (24-36 servings)
Image Source: POPSUGAR Photography / Susannah Chen
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.