The pumpkin filling gets its creamy, smooth, and thick texture from silken tofu. To make this pie gluten-free, substitute gluten-free baking mix for the flour and use gluten-free vanilla instead of vanilla. Get the recipe here.
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup pecan pieces
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
1 (16-ounce) package extra-firm lite silken tofu, drained
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin purée
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 cup pecan halves, divided
Non-dairy topping (optional)
- For the crust, pulse flour, pecans, salt and sugar in a food processor until pecans are finely ground. Add shortening and pulse until almost combined, then add 3 tablespoons ice water and pulse until just blended. Gather dough into two balls then press each into a disc. Wrap each in plastic wrap and chill for several hours until firm.
- When ready to make the pie, set one disc out at room temperature for 15 minutes to soften slightly. On a floured surface, roll out dough into a (10- to 11-inch) circle and carefully transfer to a (9-inch) pie plate. Press crust back together where needed and crimp edges as desired; chill until ready to use. (Reserve remaining pie dough for another use.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. For the filling, blend tofu in a food processor until creamy and smooth. Add pumpkin, sugar, 1/4 cup of the syrup, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, ginger and cloves and purée until smooth; set aside.
- Reserve 8 pecan halves as a garnish then toss remaining pecans with remaining 2 tablespoons syrup and arrange evenly on the bottom of the pie shell. Pour pumpkin filling into pie shell and bake until just set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Set pie aside to let cool then top with non-dairy topping, if you like, and decorate with reserved pecans.
Nutrition: Per serving (1 piece/155g-wt.): 430 calories (240 from fat), 27g total fat, 5g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 330mg sodium, 42g total carbohydrate (3g dietary fiber, 18g sugar), 7g protein
- Desserts, Pies/Tarts
- North American