The following post was written by Joann MacDonald , who blogs at Woman in Real Life  and is part of POPSUGAR Select Food .
In order to pay tribute to this bountiful time of fresh, locally grown berries, I decided to create a new muffin recipe. It's a combination of two of my favorite muffin recipes — these strawberry muffins  and these spelt banana coconut muffins .
The result is a tasty, golden muffin with a pleasant hint of banana and the sweet flavor of delicious strawberries. Serve these muffins warm out of the oven with some vegan margarine and a nice cup of tea. I'm thinking it couldn't hurt to add a spoonful of fresh strawberry jam, too. Live dangerously.
I used light spelt flour in this recipe, as I do with most of my baked goods, but I'm certain regular all-purpose flour would be fine too. My daughter (and resident muffin taster) said these muffins are dee-liii-cious! I believe that's better than just plain delicious. They would make a lovely addition to the buffet table at a baby shower or birthday party, too — especially in a cute, minimuffin form.
Vegan Strawberry Banana Muffins
Makes 12 muffins
2 1/2 cups light spelt flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup nondairy milk
1/3 cup coconut oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups strawberries, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- In a blender, blend together bananas, nondairy milk, coconut oil, and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, and stir until combined. Stir in strawberry slices. Fill muffin cups with batter.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown and testers inserted into the centers come out clean.