2 poblano peppers
2 small zucchini, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
2 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
1/4 of an onion, sliced into chunks
Olive oil, for drizzling
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons cilantro, minced
8 flour tortillas
1 heaping cup grated pepper Jack cheese
1 cup cooked protein like bay shrimp, grilled chicken, or steak, optional
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
Butter, at room temperature for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 425°F. Place the poblanos, zucchini, jalapeño, garlic, and onion in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven for 18-20 minutes until the veggies are cooked and just starting to char. Set aside to cool.
- When the vegetables are cool enough to handle, remove and discard the charred skin of the poblanos and jalapeño. Seed the peppers and roughly chop.
- Dice the onion and add them to a large bowl with the peppers and zucchini.
- Press the garlic out of its skin and finely mince. Add to the bowl with the other veggies.
- Add the minced cilantro to the chopped roasted veggies and stir lightly to combine.
- To assemble the quesadilla, place four flour tortillas on a work surface. Top each one with 1/4 cup of the pepper Jack cheese, spreading it evenly over the tortilla.
- Evenly divide the roasted vegetable mixture between the cheese-topped tortillas.
- If using the shrimp or protein, sprinkle 1/4 cup of shrimp onto each veggie-and-cheese-topped tortilla.
- Sprinkle 1-2 tablespoons of the feta over the top. Season with salt and pepper and cover with the remaining four tortillas.
- Heat a griddle to medium-low. Brush one side of the outside of the quesadilla with butter. Place butter side down on the warm grill. Cook, slowly to ensure that the cheese melts completely, about 7 minutes. Brush the top tortilla with butter and flip. Cook for another 5-7 minutes until the bottom is brown, the inside is heated through, and the cheese is melted. Remove from the grill and let sit for 1 minute. Slice into wedges and enjoy. Repeat with the remaining quesadillas.
- Other, Main Dishes