Having a great pound cake recipe in your repertoire is a must for the avid baker. It's highly versatile and can be jazzed up with a ton of different things: chocolate, whipped cream, fresh fruit, syrups, jams, and glazes to name a few. Or you could enjoy a slice of pound cake, in all its simple glory, as an afternoon snack with a frothy cappuccino - like I plan on doing when I make this treat. To make this cake, which is almost as easy as making a cake from a box, read more
1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
2 cups sugar
1 8 oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
2 cups flour
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Beat butter in large bowl with electric mixer on medium speed 1 minutes. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition. Beat an additional 5 minutes or until very light and fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and vanilla; beat 1 minute. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter mixture. Beat 1 minute or until well blended.
- Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup fluted tube pan or 10-inch tube pan.
- Bake 1 hour or until golden brown.
- Cool 10 minutes; loosen from sides of pan with spatula or knife and gently remove cake. Cool completely on wire rack.