Small cakes are an essential part of British afternoon teatime, and a Victorian sponge is a historic, easy-to-make cake to serve guests. The cake is named after Queen Victoria, who loved this light, fluffy cake, made from equal parts butter, sugar, eggs, and flour. Traditionally, two layer cakes were sandwiched together with raspberry jam and whipped cream. To make it more manageable for serving guests, divide the batter into mini muffin tins. Once they are baked, top the cakes with a dollop of whipped cream and a fresh raspberry. This cake is deceptively airy and seemingly sinless, yet it has a distinct, rich flavor of butter. Whipped cream seeps in the cake for added moisture. Acting as a bright, attractive garnish, the tart raspberry also gives the cake a fresh, astringent accent. Here's how to make Victorian sponge cake.
- 2 sticks (8 ounces) unsalted butter, softened to room temperature, plus more for greasing
1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup plus 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
3 large eggs
1 can whipped cream or 1 batch of basic homemade whipped cream
2 8-ounce containers raspberries
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 3 dozen mini muffin tins with butter. In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Using a standing mixer or a hand mixer with a large bowl, cream butter and sugar on medium-high for 4 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Add in eggs, one at at time, beating mixture thoroughly between each egg. Turn off mixer and use a wooden or metal spoon to fold in flour mixture thoroughly.
- Fill each muffin tin two-thirds of the way full, and bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick test inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Let cakes set for 2 minutes, then carefully remove them using a butter knife. Allow cakes to cool to room temperature before decorating.
- When cakes are cooled, dollop 1-2 tablespoons whipped cream on top of each cake and garnish with a raspberry.
Makes 3 dozen mini sponge cakes.
- Desserts, Cake
POPSUGAR, the #1
independent media and technology company for women. Where more than 75 million women go for
original, inspirational content that feeds their passions and interests.