Earth Day is a great time to think about going green in the kitchen. Having an environmentally friendly kitchen is easy — and affordable — if you make a few simple changes to your current living style. Here's how you can make your kitchen more green:
- Recycle! This may seem like a no brainer, but if you don't recycle your cans, glasses, cardboard and plastic containers, etc. start doing so now. If possible, start composting as well.
- Plant a garden. Growing your own fruits, vegetables, and herbs cuts down on the amount of fuel needed to transport the produce. Home gardens also cut back the use of plastic baggies.
- If you are remodeling your kitchen, use recycled materials, and look for eco-friendly, energy saving appliances with long shelf lives.
- Stop using plastic and paper bags. Instead transport groceries in reusable tote bags.
- Buy local products when possible.
- Substitute cloth napkins for paper napkins.
- Completely fill the dishwasher and only wash full loads.
What are your tips for an eco-friendly cooking space? Share your ideas with us below!