Here's the scenario: you are at home and hungry. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/ spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have a bunch of fragrant basil, creamy goat cheese, and marinara sauce. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would make,
- I would start by finely chopping the basil. Next I would stir it into the marinara sauce.
- I would fill an oven-proof appetizer dish with the sauce and plop a large chunk of goat cheese in the middle.
- I would bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Meanwhile I would use whatever bread I have on hand — this week I have regular white sandwich bread — to make croutons. I would do this by cutting it into large one inch crustless cubes and crisping it up in the oven while the cheese and sauce bake.
- Finally, I would serve the cheese marinara dip with the croutons and skewers for dipping.