You know the drill by now, but just in case you don't, here's your predicament: You are at home and hungry for food. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have butternut squash, heavy cream, and fresh sage. Using these ingredients, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would make,
- I would start by peeling and dicing the butternut squash. Next, I would mix it with olive oil, salt, pepper, and a teeny bit of balsamic vinegar. I would toss this in the oven at 350°F and roast until the squash is tender and soft.
- Next I would finely chop a few cloves of garlic and an onion. Then I would add these and some butter to a large saute pan heating over medium heat. I would sauté until tender and add a cup of arborio rice.
- After the rice is toasted I would add the roasted squash and chicken broth.
- I would cook, stirring for about 18 minutes to make a risotto. Near the end, I would add the heavy cream and fresh chopped sage plus lots of black pepper.
- I would raid my cheese drawer and add whatever leftover cheese I had on hand, preferably goat, blue, or Parmesan.
- Finally, I would plate in a wide, shallow bowl and enjoy with a glass of wine!