Here's the scenario: You are at home and hungry for food. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have canned pumpkin puree, garlic, and fresh parsley. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would whip up,
- I would start by chopping up a bunch of garlic and onion. I would add this to a heated sauté pan with olive oil and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Next I would add a cup of arborio rice and sauté for a few minutes more.
- I would deglaze the pan with vermouth — I always have some since I am crazy about martinis — and simmer until the vermouth has burned off.
- Meanwhile, I would heat a quart of chicken broth and add this to the sauté pan with the rice and veggies slowly to make a risotto.
- When the risotto is almost ready, I will stir in a bunch of pumpkin puree, a little bit of chili powder, and the fresh parsley. If it hasn't expired, I'll add some cream and whatever cheese I have in my cheese drawer.
- I would serve the pumpkin risotto with lots of freshly ground black pepper on top and a glass of red wine on the side.
How about you, what would you make?