Here's the scenario: you are at home and hungry for food. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have leftover turkey breast from Sunday's dinner, a bag full of dried cranberries, and a couple stalks of fresh celery. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would whip up,
- I would start by finely chopping the celery. Next I would chop a little bit of apple and red onion — two ingredients that happen to be sitting in my fridge.
- I would then chunk the leftover turkey breast.
- Next I would mix the turkey with the chopped vegetables, the dried cranberry, a few tablespoons of mayonnaise, salt, and pepper.
- I would spread this mixture between two slices of cut, white sandwich bread. Next I would grate extra sharp cheddar cheese on top of the turkey salad.
- I would heat my panini grill and then cook the sandwich in the panini maker until the bread is toasted and the cheese has melted.
- Finally, I would slice it into triangles, call it a turkey melt, and serve with a dill pickle and cold beer. This sounds so good, I may actually have to make it!