Here's the scenario: You are at home and hungry for food. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have a jar of sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil, frozen puff-pastry dough, and pesto. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would whip up,
- While the puff pastry is thawing, I would finely chop the sun-dried tomatoes. I usually have olives on hand, so I would mince a couple.
- I would grate some Parmesan cheese and roll the dough out in a thin square.
- Next, I would spread the pesto on top of the dough and sprinkle on the chopped sun-dried tomatoes and olives, covering the entire dough evenly. Then I would top this with the Parmesan cheese.
- I would roll the creation up like a jelly roll and set in the freezer for the dough to harden.
- Ten to fifteen minutes later I would slice the roll into pieces and bake in the oven.
- I would call them pinwheels and serve as a snack with a sparkling rosé.