Here's the scenario: you are at home and hungry. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/spouse/child/friend/etc., but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have Italian sausage links, fresh mushrooms, and chicken broth. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would whip up,
- I would start by taking the meat out of the sausage casings. I would add this to a large sauté pan heated with a little oil. I would cook the sausage, breaking it into small bite sized bits.
- Meanwhile, I would warm the chicken broth over medium heat.
- After the sausage is throughly browned, I would transfer it from the pan to a plate lined with paper towels.
- To the pan I would add chopped onions and garlic.
- After several minutes of sautéing I would add the sliced mushrooms and saute a minute more before deglazing with wine.
- Next I would add a cup of risotto rice and cook, stirring, adding chicken broth until it's absorbed, about 18 minutes.
- I would mix in the cooked sausage, any fresh herbs like thyme or parsley, and some cheese. I would add salt and pepper to taste and serve my mushroom sausage risotto with red wine.