Here's the scenario: you are at home and hungry for food. You have to cook up something scrumptious for you and your boyfriend/girlfriend/ spouse/child/friend, but the ingredients you have on hand are limited.
You have cooked ham, a package of frozen pre-made dough, and fresh spinach. Using these products, along with whatever you currently have on hand in your cupboard and refrigerator, what would you make?
To see what I would make,
- I would start by sautéing a chopped onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Next I would chop the spinach and wilt it into the onions and garlic.
- I would grate up whatever cheese I have in my fridge and dice the ham.
- I would fold the cheese and ham into the onion, spinach mixture.
- I would roll the dough out until it is 1/4 inch thick and then cut out little circles with a 3-inch diameter cookie cutter.
- In the center of each dough circle, I would mound a heaping tablespoon of the spinach ham mixture.
- Next I would fold over the dough and pinch to close, forming empanadas. I would brush the outside of the dough with an egg wash and bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until the empanadas are golden brown.
- Finally, I would serve them warm with a cold beer.