At the grocery store, look for artichokes that are firm and heavy with a dark green color and tightly closed leaves. The heavier the choke, the fresher it is. Unless you want to use them in a centerpiece with flowers, avoid blooming artichokes because the leaves will be tough. Store in a vase of water, or wash and place in a plastic bag in the fridge.Here are some great ways to enjoy artichokes:
- Steam them for an hour, then enjoy with a dipping sauce, like basil mayonnaise.
- Combine them with fresh cracked crab to make a decadent dip.
- Toss them on the grill for a super charred flavor.
- Shave them super thin and make a raw salad with parsley and manchego cheese.
- Stuff them with breadcrumbs, herbs, olives, and onions to create a scrumptious vegetarian entree.
How do you enjoy artichokes? Share your serving suggestions below!