Looking for a fun way to start the weekend? Might I recommend a delicious cocktail? It's called the YumSugar special, and it's a twist on the classic whiskey sour. The traditional recipe involves simple syrup and lemon juice, but our variation, created especially for us by the fabulous barmen at Jardiniere restaurant (we guest-bartended there!), uses honey and Meyer lemon juice. Any honey works, but if you can get your hands on honey that's infused with chestnuts or lavender, that will give the drink a subtle complexity. The libation is sweet but not overly so, and the strong flavor of the whiskey is balanced perfectly by the citrus.
It involves dry-shaking, so be prepared for an arm workout! Want the method to this delightful beverage? Keep reading.
- 2 ounces whiskey
- 3/4 ounce fresh-squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce egg white
- 1 generous teaspoon of honey
- Lemon twist, optional for garnish
- Combine all of the ingredients, except the lemon twist, in a cocktail shaker. Close and dry-shake (with no ice), vigorously for at least 15 seconds.
- Open the shaker, fill with ice, and shake again for at least another 30 seconds.
- Strain into a chilled champagne flute, garnish with a lemon twist, and enjoy!
Makes 1 drink.
- Drinks, Cocktails
- North American
Source: Eli Harris