- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- 4 chicken drumsticks (about 1-1/2 lb.)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 7 oz. pancetta, cut into 3/4-inch dice (1 heaping cup)
- 8 medium shallots, lobes separated, large lobes halved through the core
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 3/4-inch-thick slices, large slices cut in half
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed, cored, and cut into 3/4-inch dice
- 1 large clove garlic, finely chopped
- 4 sprigs fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups dry fruity white wine, preferably Alsatian or German dry Riesling
- 3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp. finely grated lemon zest
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Position a rack in the bottom third of the oven and heat the oven to 300°F.
- Heat 2 Tbs. of the oil in a 7- to 8-quart Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the chicken all over with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Arrange the chicken skin side down in the pot in a snug single layer and sear, flipping once, until golden brown all over, 10 to 13 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Cook the pancetta in the pot until well browned all over, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Pour off and discard the fat.
- Heat the remaining 2 Tbs. oil in the pot over medium-high heat. Cook the shallots, carrots, and fennel, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until its aroma subsides, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Tie the parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf together with twine (or tie them in a small cheesecloth sachet). Add the herb bundle to the pot, along with the wine. Simmer briskly, scraping the bottom of the pot to loosen the brown bits. Add the broth and return the chicken and pancetta to the pot, arranging the chicken in a single layer. Bring to a simmer, cover and transfer to the oven.
- Braise the chicken until the meat is fork-tender and just starting to come away from the bone, 35 to 45 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken and vegetables to a serving platter with a slotted spoon and tent with foil. Discard the herb bundle.
- Bring the sauce to a boil over high heat and reduce to 2 cups, about 15 minutes. Stir in the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Pour the sauce over the chicken and serve sprinkled with the chopped parsley.
Make Ahead: This dish may be made up to 2 days ahead. Let the sauce cool before adding the chicken and vegetables and refrigerating. Reheat gently over medium-low heat before serving.
- Poultry, Main Dishes