A little while ago, PartySugar gave us a great recipe for a simple creamsicle-style popsicle. Once I read it, I started craving the creamy orange treat, so imagine my surprise when I found out that today is National Creamsicle Day! So help me celebrate by either making your own creamsicle, having a store bought one or indulging in this seductively simple orange creamsicle cake! To get the cake recipe,
6 low-fat vanilla wafers, finely ground in a food processor
2 teaspoons finely grated fresh orange zest
2 teaspoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
1 cup orange sorbet, slightly softened
1 cup nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt
Garnish: finely julienned fresh orange zest
Special equipment: a 3 1/2- by 7 1/2-inch (3 1/2-cup) loaf pan
- Line loaf pan with a double layer of plastic wrap, allowing a few inches of overhang along sides.
- Stir together cookie crumbs, zest, butter, and corn syrup in a small bowl, then press into bottom of loaf pan.
- Spread sorbet evenly over crumb crust and freeze 30 minutes to harden.
- While sorbet is freezing, slightly soften frozen yogurt.
- Spread evenly over sorbet and freeze, covered with plastic wrap, until firm, at least 2 hours.
- Using plastic wrap as an aid, lift frozen cake out of pan, then peel off plastic.
- Let stand 5 minutes to soften, then cut crosswise into 4 slices.
Each serving contains about 197 calories and 3 grams fat.