Alan Richman, a writer for GQ, recently wrote:
What? Is he crazy? Michael Bauer of the San Francisco Chronicle thought so and offered up a 25 point rebuttal on his blog today.
Included in his list are:
- Chuck Williams - founder of Williams-Sonoma
- Robert Mondavi - he brought French modern techniques in winemaking
- Ceclia Chiang - whom Alice Waters calls "The Julia Child of Chinese Food
- Thomas Keller - only American to have top ratings for both his NY and Bay Area restaurants
- Wine bars - The London Wine Bar is credited with starting the wine bar genre
- The Mai Tai, Martini & Lemon Drop - while there's some debate, both are usually credited to the Bay Area
- Laura Chenel - made the first artisan goat cheese in America (which makes her my hero)
The whole list is pretty interesting (although, admittedly, there are a few things that you've never heard of), but I'm glad he threw it together. This place is a tasty slice of food heaven.
So tell me, why is your hometown a culinary paradise?