4 slices multigrain bread (I used Vital Vittles  12-Grain)
6 strawberry tomatoes, thinly sliced
3 oz. part-skim mozzarella cheese, thinly sliced with a sharp knife
10 slices fontina cheese, cut with a cheese slicer
12 to 16 large basil leaves
Honey to taste
Butter (to coat bread for grilling)
Makes two sandwiches.
- To make each sandwich, spread one side of each slice of bread with desired amount of butter.
- On the opposite side of two of the slices, spread a generous amount of honey, just enough to cover the surface.
- Divide the tomatoes between the two sandwiches and arrange the slices on top of the honey. Then, lay four slices of fontina cheese on top of each tomato-topped slice.
- Divide the basil leaves between the two sandwiches and lay atop the fontina. Then top each basil-covered slice with the sliced mozzarella. Top with remaining bread slices, butter side up.
- Over very low heat, preheat a skillet then grill the sandwiches one at a time. To ensure the cheese melts evenly, cover the skillet with a lid while cooking. Grill each side for about 3 to 5 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Sandwiches, Main Dishes