To make vegetarian, sub vegetable stock for the chicken stock.
1 cup wild rice
2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed, sliced
6 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
1 large onion, chopped
1/2 large dried ancho chile, stemmed and finely chopped
1 cup brown basmati rice
2 1/2 cups chicken stock
2 bay leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
Sherry vinegar, to taste
- Place wild rice in heavy medium saucepan. Add enough cold water to cover rice by 3 inches. Bring to boil and add 1/2 teaspoon salt. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until rice is almost tender, about 45 minutes. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add shiitakes and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Add 1/2 tablespoon butter with 1/2 tablespoon oil to the same pot; heat over medium-high heat. Add oyster mushrooms and a few generous pinches of salt, and sauté until brown, about 7 minutes. Transfer to the bowl with shiitakes.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to same pot; heat over medium heat. Add chopped onion to pot with a few pinches of salt; sauté until golden and very tender, about 20 minutes. Add chile; stir 1 minute. Add remaining 1/2 tablespoon butter and 1/2 tablespoon oil to pot; add brown rice and stir 2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, broth, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; cover and simmer until all rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Fluff rice mixture with fork. Stir in mushrooms and parsley. Season to taste with sherry vinegar and more salt.
- Stuffing/dressing, Side Dishes
- North American
- 6-8 servings