For Alfredo sauce:
¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy cream
3 tbs. unsalted butter
4 ounces grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh-ground black pepper
pinch of fresh-ground nutmeg
oil, for frying
2 tomato basil tortillas sliced into triangular pieces
dried, crushed oregano
1 Italian sausage, finely chopped
1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese (don't use fresh mozzarella, it will make the chips soggy)
2 tablespoons finely chopped tomato
2 tablespoons finely chopped black olives
1 tablespoon finely chopped sun dried tomatoes
1 tablespoon finely chopped peppercini
red pepper flakes, optional for serving
- Make the chips: heat the oil in a large pot over high heat. When smoking add the tortilla wedges and fry for 30 seconds on each side until crisp and golden brown. Remove to a plate lined with paper towels and sprinkle with dried oregano and salt. Repeat, working in small batches, until all the tortillas are fried.
- Make the Alfredo sauce: combine cream and butter in a saute pan. Heat over a low flame, stirring frequently, until the butter is melted and the cream comes to a bare simmer. Remove the pan from the heat once the butter is evenly incorporated into the cream.
- Add the cheese, the salt, the nutmeg, and several grinds of the pepper mill. Cover set aside.
- Meanwhile heat 1 teaspoon oil in a saute pan over medium low heat. Add the sausage and cook until crisp, browned, and heated through.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Make the salsa: combine the tomato, sun dried tomatoes, black olives, and peppercini in a small bowl.
- Place the chips on a cookie sheet covered with foil.
- Drizzle with Alfredo sauce and top with cooked sausage. Cover with mozzarella and drizzle with more sauce.
- Bake in the oven for 4 minutes until the cheese is melted. Turn the broiler on and broil until the chips are crisp and the cheese is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and top with salsa. Serve immediately with red pepper flakes for sprinkling if desired.
- Cheese, Main Dishes